Creating a free WordPress website is not a difficult task. And if you are new to the platform then you have come to the right place. In this article, we will see what WordPress is and how you can create a free website using WordPress.
What is WordPress?
WordPress is a Content Management System that lets you create websites and add content to them. Here, you just don’t get to create any basic website. You can design and customize your website however you like. Using WordPress doesn’t require you to use codes or have knowledge of coding or web development. It comes with pre-structured Best WordPress Themes that you can use to design your website. Now, these themes are not all free. Well, some of them are and some you have to pay for. You can customize your website using themes by dragging and dropping your content and adding textual information. You can also design each page of your website separately with the help of templates.
Now that you have got an idea of what WordPress is and how it works, let us see how you can create a free WordPress website.
Getting started with WordPress
- Let’s first create your account. Creating an account on WordPress is easy. You just have to add your email address, and username and create a password.
- Next, you will get a screen that would ask you to type in a domain name for your website. A domain name is a name that appears in the website link. For example, if your business’s name is “sports XYZ”, your domain name would be “sportsxyz” and your website would be “sportsxyz.com, sportsxyz.in,” etc.
- When you’ve selected your domain name you will see a list of domains that are available related to your domain name. Since we are creating a free WordPress website, select the plan that is free and continue.
- The next screen would ask you to select a plan but on the top portion of the screen, you will find a button that says “create a website for free”. Next, select your goals for your website and proceed to your dashboard.
How to customize the website?
The next part is customizing your website. When you check the left-hand side menu on your dashboard and scroll down, you will see an option that says “Appearance” click that and you will get another set of options. The first among those is “Themes”. Select “Themes” and your screen will show you a list of themes. Some of these themes are free and some are not. And since we are creating a free WordPress website let’s go for a free theme. Scroll and select a free theme that you like and the one that best suits the image of your business.
Activate the theme by clicking “Activate this design”. When activated, a box appears on your screen with two options, “edit site” and “view site”. To customize your website click “edit site”. You can now customize your website by dragging and dropping content.
- The first page you see will be the homepage of your site. Here you can add your logo, site title, and a tagline of your choice that best describes your site.
- On the top-left of the screen, you’ll see a “+” icon. This will help you add patterns and blocks to your site. Select a pattern of your choice and start building your site with the theme as a blueprint of “where what should be”.
- If there are theme images, replace them with the images you want to be on your website. Where there’s gibberish text, that’s where you add your content or information that is supposed to be on the site.
- On the top right corner of the screen, you will see options like “view”, “save”, “settings”, “styles” and “navigation”. You can further edit your site with these options. Click “Save” and you have your site!
We have a free theme as a suggestion for your website. Let’s take a look.
Real Estate WordPress Theme
This free WordPress website theme is an excellent choice as you can use it to create a unique and professional blog. This Real Estate WordPress Theme has features like responsiveness, retina-ready, logo uploads, slider settings, social media links, secure and optimized codes, and the latest WordPress compatibility. Your website can get good ranks with this theme as it is SEO optimized. Changing the colors and fonts is also an easy task.
We would like to add that, no matter what theme you choose for creating your free WordPress website, make sure it’s not from any suspicious third party.